Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vacation finally ...

Well, this is my first post, so we'll see how it goes.

We haven't written much about our vacation because we've been pretty busy since we've been back. Amy and I (and our 3 dogs, that's right 3) went camping in Colorado a couple of weeks ago during the 4th of July week with my parents and my sister Becky (guys she's single ... LOL). We really enjoy camping with my parents and my sister. We don't get to see them much, so it's always fun to spend time with them, but we probably enjoy the camping the most. We stay in the Salida/Buena Vista area which if you haven't been you need to go. I've been all over different parts of Colorado, and in my opinion this area is the best. And not many people know about it ... hmm ... maybe I shouldn't say anything???

It's so beautiful in Colorado and nice and cool too. It's in the upper 90s here in Dallas and I think the warmest it got in Colorado was about 83 and that was the last day, most of the time it was in the 70s. It also rained nearly every day. Oh man, that was nice. The rain would cool everything off at night, in fact, a couple of nights we needed a heater. I love the rain in Colorado. It's so nice and peaceful. And you add the fresh air in there, and you just can't beat it.

Amy and I rented a little pop-up trailer this year which was kind of fun. We normally stay in a tent, but since Amy was almost 6 months pregnant at the time, we decided against that this year...probably for the best. My dad said we could have stayed in a tent ... sure ... easy for him to say!

We had a busy week this year though. We spent alot of time fishing. It's so relaxing just to set on the edge of a Colorado pond or stream with the mountains in the background and just fish for a couple of hours.

On Monday, Amy's parents showed up in Salida which was a surprise and a treat since they live in Louisiana. They were there for the week staying in Denver. They were looking for a condo or cabin to buy and decided to come down and look around there for a day or so. Amy and I went around all week to help them find a place. They finally settled on a place in Silverthorne, CO which is about 20 minutes or so from Breckenridge. Amy and I can't wait to get up there and see because we just didn't have time to go by and look at it this year, but we will as soon as we can.

On Tuesday, Amy and I drove over to Colorado Springs area to visit one of my best friends growing up, Mindy. We had so much fun spending time with her and her husband (Matthew). We don't get to see them much. Mindy made this great dinner...it was really good! I also had a chance to play with their black lab, Max. Great dog! He loves to play fetch which I so enjoy. We just hung around and ate dinner and talked. It got late and we had a 2 1/2 hour drive to make, so Mindy and Matthew were very gracious and let us stay in one of there spare rooms for the night. Their house by the way is awesome. Amy and I loved it. It was sad to leave, but hopefully we'll get to see them again soon.

We got back on Wednesday, and that's when things really got interesting. That night before sun down, we were driving home from fishing at a new pond we were trying out. As we're headed back to camp and a deer comes out of the woods, so I slow down and watch it cross the road. If you know anything about deer, it's that they travel in groups of two to four. Now, I know this, but I watched the deer cross the road for just a few seconds and turned my attention back to the road, and their she was. Another deer was right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, but the deer wasn't moving fast enough and I clipped her. I felt really bad about this. I pulled over. Amy's crying at this point. We were both okay and the truck only had minor damages, so we were lucky. I will also point out that the deer did get up and walk away...not very well, but she was walking, so hopefully she will be okay. I've been around deer my whole life. Seen them many times including in CO. But I have never witnessed someone or myself hit a deer, so this was a first for me. You feel bad. I know next time I will be watching the entire time. I just feel blessed because this could have been very bad for everyone and every thing.

Well, that was about all the good and dramatic parts. I river rafted on Thursday (and the water was at some of the highest points they'd seen in 20 years for this time of the year). I golfed on Friday, and that was fun because Amy was able to come with me and drive the cart, and it's always fun to spend time with her. We all went to town to watch fireworks that night too. Then Saturday we started back home.

I know this was long, but I decided to do it all in one post instead of a bunch of different ones. We have pictures, but Amy has all of that maybe she'll put some on here.

TTYL,
Andy

No comments: